I feel quite badly that I have neglected to update in the past several weeks, as there have been many stories I wish to share, but not a lot of time to sit down and write them down! School has been busy after taking a week off to see my parents. It was so, so wonderful to see them and I’m so happy I was able to! We had a great, relaxing week (minus the stress of getting lost several times every time we set out on a road!). They arrived on a Saturday and I picked them up at the train station. After getting situated at the hotel, I took them to meet my host family at the house for dessert and coffee. I was so pleased by how well my parents and my host parents got along and how much they liked each other. I was slightly nervous about the language barrier at first, but the combined knowledge of French and English on both sides made it easier than I had originally thought. My host parents were able to speak to my real parents in French, my real parents to my host parents in English, and both sides understood pretty well. (I played translator when needed). That evening, we had cocktails at my professor’s house where my parents were able to meet many of my friends, my professor and his wife, and the parents of my friends. Later, we went out to dinner to a great little restaurant in the center of the city with a couple of my friends and their parents. It was a great night!
On Sunday, despite nearly everything in the city being closed for the work-free day of the week, we had a nice time walking around the city and seeing some museums, churches, and other old buildings. I’m so happy my parents loved Dijon as much as they did!
On our way to Normandy, we were able to visit the American memorial set up by the US on Omaha Beach to commemorate the many lives lost there on D-Day. It was beautifully built and very moving to visit.
Our first stop outside of Dijon was Honfleur, a quaint little seaside village in Normandy with many old boats, lots of shopping, and endless cafes. It reminded me a little bit of both of the towns where my grandparents live.
On our way out of Honfleur, we were able to stop at Mont Saint Michel, a beautiful old monastary mounted on a large rock in the middle of the ocean! When the tide is out, visitors are able to come and tour the monastery, once home to monks hundreds of years ago, and its narrow streets with shops that wrap around the massive building. (For the many reasons I kept restating as to why I believe Mont Saint Michel mirrors Hogwarts, bring this up with me when I get back). However, when the tide comes in, make sure you have removed your car, for if you haven’t, it will likely be swept out to sea.
After Normandy, it was off to Paris for the remaining few days we had together. We had a great time seeing places like the Eiffel Tower, L’Arc de Triomphe, and the Champs Elysees. We also ate very well! At the end of the week, we were able to meet up with some friends for dinner, too. It was sad to say goodbye to my parents at the end, but we had a wonderful time together!
Since getting back, we have gone on another excursion to Beaune! Beaune is a beautiful old village in Burgundy just a short train ride from Dijon. We went to visit an old hospital from the Middle Ages. It was very interesting to see. I won’t explain everything here, but the pictures are interesting themselves!



No comments:
Post a Comment